wc in Bootscripts

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Apr 10 08:05:35 PDT 2005

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Matthias Berndt wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> wouldn't it make sense to move 'wc' from '/usr/bin' to '/bin' like
>> other tools in the coreutils-package to prevent some more or less
>> cryptic constructions in '/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions'? FHS don't tell me
>> anything against this idea.
>>
>> Matthias Berndt
>
> You are refering to the character counting in boot_mesg().
> Unfortunately, wc is plain messed up WRT UTF8.  libtextwrap would have
> been a much better solution, but not fitting for a base LFS.  Take a
> look at these threads in the archives for a little background information.

Since the proposal to add translated messages to the bootscripts failed,
wc should work fine (all strings it operated upon are ASCII-only) and the sed
s/././g command is not needed.

Or should we keep that just in case so that the proposal can be easily
reconsidered? That would depend on people willing to provide translations
and on bootscript coders to make their bootscripts translation-friendly.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov