LFS 6.1-testing issues

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Apr 8 21:17:18 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>The backspace key is not working correctly in vim.
>
> <snip the confirmation that the kernel keymap is correct>
>
>>I can fix the problem with
>>   echo "keycode 14 = BackSpace" | loadkeys
>>
>>but that doesn't seem right to me.
>
> It just isn't right, it will also break Emacs.
>
> I cannot reproduce this here, but my LFS is rather old. Could you please
> answer the following questions?
>
> 1) Does the problem exist on the livecd itself?
No. I've been using it quite a while without problems.

> 2) What's in your /etc/vimrc? In particular, is the "set nocompatible"
> statement there?

Just the default:
[~]# less /etc/vimrc
" Begin /root/.vimrc

set nocompatible
set backspace=2
syntax on
if (&term == "iterm") || (&term == "putty")
   set background=dark
endif

" End /root/.vimrc

> 3) What do you mean by "does not work"? I.e., is the description of your
> problem below correct?

> You start vim, press "iasdf<backspace>". The "f" letter is not deleted but
> it should be. Instead, the following happens: <describe here>.

Sorry.  I should have specified.  I get ^? printed on the screen in
insert mode or in :ex mode.  No characters are erased.
A Ctrl-h works properly as a backspace should.

showkey says the backspace keycode is 14.
dumpkeys says keycode 14 is Delete.

The delete key is code 111 and has function Remove.  It works properly
as do he arrow keys, etc.

This looks like the normal way linux is set up and suggests to me the
problem is in vim.  vim should translate the erase to a backspace
operation, but it isn't.
I built vim according to the book with no optimizations.

>>I have not changed /etc/inputrc.
>
> This only controls applications linked with readline. Vim isn't.

I thought vim used it, but I'm glad you pointed that out.

   -- Bruce