LFS 6.1-testing issues

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Apr 8 20:35:25 PDT 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The backspace key is not working correctly in vim.
<snip the confirmation that the kernel keymap is correct>
> I can fix the problem with
>    echo "keycode 14 = BackSpace" | loadkeys
>
> but that doesn't seem right to me.

It just isn't right, it will also break Emacs.

I cannot reproduce this here, but my LFS is rather old. Could you please
answer the following questions?

1) Does the problem exist on the livecd itself?
2) What's in your /etc/vimrc? In particular, is the "set nocompatible"
statement there?
3) What do you mean by "does not work"? I.e., is the description of your
problem below correct?

You start vim, press "iasdf<backspace>". The "f" letter is not deleted but
it should be. Instead, the following happens: <describe here>.

> I have tried :set backspace=2 in vim, but that doesn't change anything.

This controls backspacing over newlines, not the expected backspace/delete
characters.

> I have not changed /etc/inputrc.

This only controls applications linked with readline. Vim isn't.

> KEYMAP_CORRECTION="/etc/kbd/bs-sends-del"

Typo, someone should fix it.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov