6.1 release branch, /etc/profile locale specification

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Apr 4 19:05:21 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> So it's better to change the book to say "ISO-8859-1".
>
> Easy enough to do, added to my (ever growing) TODO for 6.1.
>
>> Also some people say it's better to remove LC_ALL (i.e. set only LANG)
>  > and I tend to agree with them now.
>>
>> Please do that before LFS 6.1 comes out.
>
> But then according to your post titled "[POST-6.1] Console script with
> UTF-8 support" you state:
>
> "Don't forget to set LANG and LC_ALL properly in /etc/profile."
>
> So, which is it to be?

only LANG. I added LC_ALL to that statement only on the basis of its presence
in the book at that moment. The situation is:

1) LANG that sets the default for all locale categories but can be overridden
2) LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, ... override LANG for their respective locale
categories
3) LC_ALL overrides every other locale variable

So setting LC_ALL by default is harmless, but it generates questions like "I
want proper character classification, but still English messages. I have
tried setting LC_MESSAGES to C but that doesn't work". The answer is that he
has to unset LC_ALL.

Sorry for that confusion.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov