2 potentially 6.1 related questions

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 4 14:51:22 PDT 2005

Hi folks,

In both sets of grep's instructions we use the '--with-included-regex'
to prevent grep from using potentially buggy regex code from glibc.
Now, I can understand this in chapter 5 where the host's glibc can't be
guaranteed to work.  However, in chapter 6 we have a known version of
glibc.  The question is, does anyone know whether recent versions of
glibc still have the buggy regex code, and how can we test/verify it (is
  running grep's own testsuite enough to spot any problems)?  The reason
I ask is that Jakub Jelinek has done some work on the regex code in
glibc, so I'm wondering if it's still problematic.

Secondly, following Ken's observation that hotplug's Makefile creates
the /var/log/hotplug directory I removed that instruction from the book.
  That just leaves us touching a file at /var/log/hotplug/errors.  I
can't believe that hotplug doesn't create this file itself, if it
doesn't already exist.  Can anyone (Jim!) confirm that this instruction
is really necessary?

Cheers,

Matt.