6.1 release branch, /etc/profile locale specification

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Apr 4 07:26:48 PDT 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Oh I do love doing it a fully manual build, and having to read the text
> instead of just skimming it to look for changes ;)  The text for setting
> /etc/profile in chapter 7 includes an appropriate example for me,
> "en_GB.iso8859-1" but locale -a shows this as "en_GB.iso88591"
>
> Is this a bug, or is the '-' permitted ?  `man setlocale' implies the
> character set should be specified as ISO-8859-1 and refers me to
> locale(1) which doesn't exist on the new system (`man locale' gives me a
> posix man page from the 1p section which is somewhat less than
> informative).

All three forms are equivalent for glibc. There is, however, some picky
software (e.g. xlib) that would insist on "ISO-8859-1" or "iso88591". So it's
better to change the book to say "ISO-8859-1". Also some people say it's
better to remove LC_ALL (i.e. set only LANG) and I tend to agree with them
now.

Please do that before LFS 6.1 comes out.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov