6.1 release?

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:23:07 PST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 10:20 AM, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
> > Probably best to delay it for a while, as a brand new release of
> > the bootscripts was introduced to LFS a couple of days ago. These
> > bootscripts probably should be tested out before releasing a
> > version which includes them.
> >
> > Opinions?
> >

> The changes to the bootscripts seemed minimal, (the new release was
> mostly just to get sysklogd back in) and as Matt just posted as well,
> likely a testing phase before release would go through. I think that
> should prove enough time to test the latest version of the scripts.
>
> --
> Jeremy Huntwork

Actually, I would advise caution.  One of my goals for the next
release was to get a LSB compliant set of bootscripts.  (I have
postphoned that for now, since it breaks some BLFS scripts, and would
just add more complexity to bootscripts.  After they were sortof LSB
compliant, I have moved them back to how BLFS bootscripts expect them
to act).

I may not have everything perfect this time...  but most of my testing
have been with the loadproc/killproc functions.

There is one BLFS bootscript that I did break, mysql.  LSB said that
it should be 'killproc [-p pidfile] (progname)'.  I have put in a
check to see if killproc lists the name of the program and it prints a
warning message if it did not.  mysql's bootscript just uses killproc
with no arguments.  Previously, it was deemed that since we are using
the pidfile of the program, the program name was not required (and I
still do not use it in the function).  To fix this, just change
killproc to killproc mysqld.

You may want to check other bootscripts that contain the variable PIDFILE

In  the future when LFS 6.1 is widely used, I would suggest using the
-p parameter for loadproc and killproc.  (Instead of setting the
PIDFILE variable).

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------