6.1 release branch

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Apr 1 17:17:29 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> The idea is that in roughly 2 weeks we'll release 6.1.  So, can
> everyone please hammer this one to death and report all problems to
> this list and preferably also to bugzilla so we can keep track of
> them.

Two issues I've seen so far:

1) The URL for less may not be right.  Less-382 is not available at
http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/download.html -- I Googled and
found it at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/less/ instead.

Less-381 was available at greenwoodsoftware.com, just not 382.

2) The note in section 5.1 about patches may be correct, but it doesn't
match what I usually do.  The sentences in question:

> Warning messages about /offset/ or /fuzz/ may also be encountered
> when applying a patch. Do not worry about these warnings, as the
> patch was still successfully applied.

I usually ignore warnings about offsets (offsets just mean the patch's
context has moved), but I try to fix warnings about fuzz (which means
patch had to actually *discard* some lines of context to find a match).
I had one bad experience with a kernel patch that applied with fuzz a
long time ago -- the patched kernel failed to compile.  Maybe I'm the
only one, but I thought I'd mention it.

If I run into other issues, I'll post them then.  I've just finished
compiling binutils pass 1 (yes, by hand, I have a whole weekend ;-) ).