/usr/src/linux

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 28 12:52:14 PDT 2004

Miguel Bazdresch wrote:

> Does this include 3rd party modules? I need a module for my adsl modem
> and it looks for headers in /usr/src/linux.

External modules _should_ be converted to use the new 2.6 build system,
which will find the headers from wherever the kernel was built from.

The danger of leaving the headers in /usr/src/linux is that incorrectly
configured userspace apps might build against them; I would recommend
telling people not to make the /usr/src/linux link, to never unpack a
kernel source tree there, and when they find an app or module that
expects a source tree there to find some way to fix the app/module.