Bug Status

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Aug 19 19:27:54 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:55:16 +0100 Matthew Burgess
> <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>> They can be seen by visiting http://tinyurl.com/65xgt. We've got 14
>>  bugs:
>

> OK, so someone had to go and prove me wrong by adding a typo-related
>  bug (#889) in bugzilla today, and I didn't update my draft email
> before checking it!  Obviously fits into "Bugs fixable for testing",
>  so the end result remains the same.

There is one more thing I want to be dealt with as soon as possible. The
thing is related to the warning on the glibc page in chapter 6:

> Because of the various problems that arise due to application
> programmers making assumptions that break in such locales, LFS should
> not be used in locales that utilize multibyte character sets
> (including UTF-8) or right-to-left writing order. Numerous unofficial
> and unstable patches are required to fix these problems, and it has
> been decided not to support such complex locales.

This warning is TOO FAR in the book. One would build entire chapter 5
only to read this warning and understand that his settings are not
supported and that there is no point to continue. I suggest
duplicating the warning e.g. in the "Audience" section of the book. BTW
this non-support of UTF-8 is a WONTFIX.

> Various attempts to circumvent these restrictions are documented in
> internationalization-related hints.

Please delete this false statement - there are no such hints.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov