[testing] chapter 6

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Aug 17 21:16:02 PDT 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> What are the exact benefits for having readline link against ncurses? I
> assume its own internal terminal handling isn't good enough?

It uses termcap functions and allows applications to implement it by
linking either to -ltermcap or -lncurses. Since we always want to defer
terminal handling to ncurses, we add the "SHLIB_XLDFLAGS=-lncurses". If
we didn'd do so, we would have to add "-lncurses" to LDFLAGS of all apps
that link against readline to avoid getting undefined symbols. Also
there would be a problem with apps that try to dlopen the readline
library, like debugfs.

This is an issue similar to old ones like "freetype+zlib" or
"libpng+zlib", and it has been first raised WRT readline back in August
2003.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov