[testing] chapter 6

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 17 19:00:05 PDT 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 12:26, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>>1. glibc:
>>  --with-headers=/tools/glibc-kernheaders.
>>
>>It doesn't look like we install raw headers at all in our final system,
>>hence needing to reference the copy we installed in chapter 5.  What
>>happens with out-of-tree device drivers, or things like iptables
>>that rightly need those headers?  Do we just point them at
>>/usr/src/linux-{version}/include/?
>

> So, we don't make any changes to the book then and leave things as they
> currently are?

I believe that is the best course of action. We do not want to end up
with raw kernel headers installed _anywhere_ on the final LFS, except
for inside a kernel build tree if one is present. There are very few
applications (see Jim's other post) that won't work properly with
linux-libc-headers, and those are being cleaned up as the maintainers
get time (or as linux-libc-headers is improved, when that is needed).