[testing] chapter 6

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 17 14:42:53 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 12:26, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> 1. glibc:
>   --with-headers=/tools/glibc-kernheaders.
>
> It doesn't look like we install raw headers at all in our final system,
> hence needing to reference the copy we installed in chapter 5.  What
> happens with out-of-tree device drivers, or things like iptables
> that rightly need those headers?  Do we just point them at
> /usr/src/linux-{version}/include/?

So, we don't make any changes to the book then and leave things as they
currently are?

> 4. readline
>
> No explanation of "SHLIB_XLDFLAGS=-lncurses".

What are the exact benefits for having readline link against ncurses? I
assume its own internal terminal handling isn't good enough?

> 7. bash
>
> Explanation of --without-bash-malloc and --with-installed-readline
> options are missing.

bash-malloc first appears in chapter 5, so I'll put it there instead.
What's the exact reason for it again? I seem to recall something about
Bash's malloc causing segfaults and using the Glibc version is better.
I've added that note but I could be wrong of course, so somebody correct
me please.

Added the readline to chapter 6.

The other mentioned issues are fixed.

--