[Fwd: 403 forbidden?]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 13 12:10:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 14:49, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Hmmm...methinks a *pre*-commit hook might be an idea now!  If anyone has
> a problem with automatically running 'make validate' on each commit can
> you speak up now please?  We really *shouldn't* be committing invalid
> XML to the repository.

There is one problem with that: it takes a long time to validate the
XML. If you commit 5 times in a row, 5 instances of the script will be
running and taking up a huge chunk of CPU power. Of course you can check
for a lock file, and then you have 5 or more scripts that are waiting
for a long time and are running time and time again validating mostly
the same XML.

Make 'make validate' part of a personal pre-commit. We could write a
script that us editors use to commit with. Instead of running "svn ci"
that script will run make validate first, then run svn ci for us. It'll
take longer to commit things on our end, but then the server's CPU usage
isn't driven up through the roof.

--
Gerard Beekmans