Comments on Version 6.0-testing-20040807

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Aug 10 03:54:58 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> This applies only to computers that have hot-pluggable devices. This
> old Pentium doesn't have USB => nothing to actually hotplug. So for
> _this_ computer it is perfectly OK to disable CONFIG_HOTPLUG and
> still have working udev (since only udevstart is needed).

Perhaps.  In general (AKA on most people's systems), I wouldn't rely on
that...  ;-)

You also, of course, need to remember to rerun udevstart *every* time
you load a module.  I remember some discussion of replacing the modprobe
binary with a script that ran modprobe and then udevstart, but it's not
in the book at this point (and probably rightly so).

Or you load them all at bootup using the S05modules script, but then you
run into issues when (for example) you've been seeing kernel oopses
while recording via your TV card (after remote booting the system), and
you want to take the nvidia module out of the picture every time you
remote-boot.  (And yes, that's a pathological case, I know.  The way I
do it is to boot without nvidia in the modules sysconfig file, and
modprobe it manually after bootup before starting X when I need to use
it.)

Anyway, I think that since the majority of systems can use it, and since
disabling it will require that users remember to perform extra steps
whenever they do something pretty basic, that it would be better to just
tell them to enable hotplug.  Maybe a note to that effect would be
called for ("If you don't have any hot-pluggable hardware, and you also
don't mind remembering to run udevstart manually every time you manually
load a module, then you don't need CONFIG_HOTPLUG"), but then that might
end up being confusing too.