Printed book update -- SVN-testing freeze

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 2 11:07:55 PDT 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:55:11 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Gerard Beekmans said the following on 31-07-2004 17:58:
> >
> > 1) Draft #1 which I have as an Office document will go into
> > SVN-testing. This will be completed by August 3rd.
> > 2) I render a new book from lfs-testing that includes our text
> > updates combined with all the work you guys have done since July 9th
> > 3) This second draft will be edited again, which we estimate will
> > take about a week (from August 3rd).
> > 4) Those last edits go into SVN-testing and PDF and PS files to to
> > the publisher for printing.
>
> What about the current bugs? Will that allow for enough time to
> incorporate all changes? I'm not sure if this list is complete, but we
>
> have the following open/new bugs for 6.0:
>
> 851 P1 Rework and extend kernel-related documentation
> 853 P1 Documentation is needed for further configuration of Udev
> 870 P1 Soon to be invalid URL for References.
  ^^^
This has been OKed now.  Updating the URL to the one in my forwarded
message from Gerard will fix this.

> 791 P2 Better document the end result
> 859 P2 Mention CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y req when building kernel
> 864 P3 Races with device creation when udev is used with a modul...
> 684 P3 Must re-evaluate package order then document the rationale.
> 832 P5 glibc tarballs require either a sed patch or a newer sed ...
  ^^^
This is just a reminder for the toolchain folks - it's not actually a
bug that is present in the current book (stable/testing/unstable).  I
don't know whether there's a way we can mark it as such in bugzilla?

> 833 P5 Some things that went wrong with the release
  ^^^
Again, this was just a reminder for the RM to get a clue as to what to
do in the event G wasn't going to make the next release!  Could probably
be closed now, although I think it may be appropriate to document a
formal release procedure in the editors guide somewhere?

> 855 P5 Use RelaxNG instead of DTDs for DocBook validation
  ^^^

Another reminder - it's a long-term goal which is dependent on the
docbook folks releasing version 5 of their schema.  Nothing to see here
- move along please :)

> 884 P5 libtool issues

Hope this helps ease everyone's worries a little :)

Matt.