GRUB vs LILO and how STUPID the X86 architecture really is...

Zack Winkles sativa93 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 17 19:12:02 PDT 2002

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:58:00 -0400
> Michael Wu <edf_iceburner at SPAMKILLSCATS_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Though I still prefer grub, because LILO is IMHO, too crappy.
>
> people keep saying that, but no-one seems to have a good reason WHY
> its crappy...
>
> what doesnt it do?

Multiple times I've installed a new kernel, forgotten to run lilo, then
had the old kernel start, or worse yet, had no kernel start booting
because part of the new kernel overwrote part of the old kernel, but
NOT the whole thing. kernel corruption = bad. I'm aware that this is
user error on my part, but the fact remains that grub wouldn't care
about such things.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has had trouble with things like
this (check the lfs-support archives). fewer support questions = good.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org