Possible solution to glibc problem (again)

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 10:48:40 PDT 2002

Tushar T wrote:

> One solution that I can think of is to install the static version of
> glibc in with a prefix of ~lfs (lfs being the temporary user created in
> Ch 5). The version of glibc used should be the same as the version on
> the host. So for a glibc-2.2.5 system, we build glibc-2.2.5. That way we
> avoid having to compile lot of other packages like gcc, ncurses, etc.
> just to compile Ch. 5. Then for all packages in Ch 5 that are installed
> in $LFS/static, we link to static nss files as in the above example.
>
> Think this will work?
>
> I have a static version of glibc compiled, but am not very sure how to
> use the above example to compile Ch 5. Would setting LDFLAGS="-lc
> -lnss_files -lnss_dns -lresolv" work? or should I add
> CFLAGS="-Wl,--start-group -lc -lnss_files -lnss_dns -lresolv
> -Wl,--end-group"? If someone has an answer I would appreciate it, else
> will go 'google' in the gcc docs.

Just a quick mention how I get round the problem.

Build until glibc; and then you cannot chroot anymore.

Rebuild ncurses, fileutils, tar and bash; linking to the new library
but installing in static.  Instructions attached, there is no special
order for these as we are cross-compiling from the base system.
Done this with several systems, just about to try with glibc-2.3.1

Then just carry on with chapter 6