bison requires m4?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sat Nov 9 14:21:16 PST 2002

Argux wrote:

>hi, thanks for all the help so far (i compiled glibc-2.2.5 and will wait for safe directions before upgrading anything), but now i bring you new questions to intrigue your souls:
>
>Bison tells me it needs M4 to compile, but in the book (4.0) it is not compiled until later; and since it says that if you don't follow the directions *exactly*, terrible things might happen, I come to ask for your permission to go ahead and compile M4 before.
>
>Can I? Can I?
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Oh, and I'm using -O3 and -march=i686, in case that means anything.
>
><snip>
>checking for ranlib... ranlib
>checking for gm4... no
>checking for gnum4... no
>checking for m4... no
>checking whether m4 supports frozen files... no
>configure: error: GNU M4 1.4 is required
>root:/usr/src/lfs/bison-1.75#
></snip>

This mailgroup is for discussion of development of the book.  Your
message would be better addressed to lfs-support.
That said, it apears that you have some kind of timestamp problem.  M4
is only used with autoconf/automake and if the timestamps are correct,
is never checked.  In my log, there is no check for M4 at all:

checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking ctype.h usability... yes
checking ctype.h presence... yes

Also, version 4.0 of the book calls for version Bison-1.35 not the
version you are trying to compile.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org