Sh-utils and shadow deps - possible bug report

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Sun Nov 3 01:27:37 PST 2002

I am not subscribed, so please include my E-mail in CC when answering.

I have already built LFS twice, but encountered the following problem while
building:

1) when compiling those packages exactly as described in the LFS book v. 4.0,
everything seems to work correctly. But, I doubt that the instructions in the
book are perfectly correct - see below.
2) when compiling cracklib and PAM just before shadow (but of course long
after sh-utils) as described in pam+shadow+cracklib.txt, su refuses to work.
The text of the error message contains words "module" and "sorry" (cannot
reproduce it right now because the problem is solved) and is contained in the
sources of PAM. This error can be avoided by recompiling sh-utils again after
shadow.

So, a relation "su depends on PAM" exists, but functions of PAM are not called
from su directly. Most probably, they are called indirectly through functions
declared in <shadow.h>. But the fact remains: su as compiled according to the
book behaves differently in cases when shadow is compiled with PAM and
without it. So, su depends on shadow. But it is built before shadow in the
book! Is that correct? How is that circular (?) dependency resolved?

Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org