some notes

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Mon Mar 25 14:53:40 PST 2002

Op ma 25-03-2002, om 22:50 schreef Johan Compen:
> Hi there,
>
> I just finished installing LFS 3.2. The host system was Debian 2.2r5 and
> everything went without any major problems. I have made some notes/comments
> about the installation and would like to share them with you:
>
> At some points in the book you need to know the glibc version of the host
> system. But it isn't told untill chapter 5, "Copying old NSS library files",
> that this can be done by just running the library.

Good idea.

> It would be nice to tell about install-log in the begining of the book, so
> everyone installing LFS knows of it.

Nope, there are a million ways to keep track of the installation of a
package and we won't list them all. So we list none.

> In Chapter 6, About debugging symbols, the last paragraph says:
>
> "You might find additional information in the optimization hint which can be
> found at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/optimization.txt ."
>
> But in that hint there isn't any information about debugging symbols, only
> about optimization.

You _might_... need I say more? :o)

But you're right, it needs fixing.

> The man hint tells it's safe to compress all man pages by running the
> command
> bzip2 /usr/share/man/*/*
> but the directories /usr/share/man/* also contain symbolic links like this:
> /usr/share/man/man1/ex.1 -> vim.1
>
> By compressing the file vim.1 to vim.1.bz2 this link gets broken, so "man
> ex" doesn't work anymore. Does somebody know a command to fix all these
> links?

Save this to mantar.sh. It will also recompress gziped files to bzip2.

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -d "$1" -o -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "Usage: $0 <dir>"
fi

for DIR in $1/man*; do
  cd $DIR

  for FILE in *; do
    if [ -L "$FILE" ]; then
      case $FILE in
        *.bz2)
           continue
        ;;
        *.gz)
           NEWNAME=`echo "$FILE" |sed s/\.gz$//`
           mv "$FILE" "$NEWNAME"
        ;;
      esac

      LINK=`ls -l $FILE |cut -d ">" -f2 |tr -d " "`
      rm -f "$FILE" && ln -s "${LINK}.bz2" "${FILE}.bz2"
      echo "Relinked $FILE"
    elif [ -f "$FILE" ]; then
      case $FILE in
        *.bz2)