error messages buring bootup and shutdown

Ivan A. Uemlianin i.a.uemlianin at celtic.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 15:44:09 PDT 2002

Dear lfs-dev

I've just successfully booted into my new LFS system for the first
time.  I received a couple of "You should not be reading this ..." error
messages.  I haven't tracked down the bugs, but I've got some ideas, so
I thought I'd report them.

I'm building LFS 3.3; host system SuSE 7.2; machine is an Intel Celeron
laptop.

Two error messages:

1. During bootup

"...
mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist  [FAILED]

You should not ... an unforeseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs
which exited with a return value of 32.
..."

2. During shutdown

"...
umount: /dev/root: not found
umount: /: not mounted        [FAILED]

You should not ... an unforeseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/K60mountfs
which exited with a return value of 1.
..."

Some factors which might have caused this:
- I compiled the kernel without USB support.
- I'm following the lfs_next_to_existing_system hint, so the
init.d/mountfs script has

mount -n -o remount,rw /old-distro

instead of

mount -n -o remount,rw /

in start), and similarly in stop).

The system seems to work OK, what are the implications of these errors?
I'd like to try and track down the causes - any pointers as to where to
start looking?

Best wishes

Ivan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org