I'm curious why gcc...

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 05:07:15 PST 2002

* Phil Howard <phil-lfs-dev at ipal.net> [020117 11:35]:
> I'm curious why gcc in chapter 6 is installed _after_ findutils, mawk,
> ncurses, and vim ... as opposed to _before_ them?

Vim is early on so if something goes wrong, you have
an editor available to fix it. I do not have vim installed
but I suspect that like most console editors it requires ncurses.

> Gcc needs mawk, but that's done in static, so it should already be
> there?  Maybe a reason to use the dynamic mawk?

gcc can be compiled with static or dynamic mawk. I would prefer
compiling gcc as soon as possible because the dynamic version
is more efficient with memory than the static. (I know the
same is true of mawk, but gcc is bigger). The difference is
is compile times is probably too small to measure, so there
I do not see a good reason to recommend changing the book.

> Gcc does need find, and findutils is where that comes from.  It's not
> installed static, but could be?

Yes it could be. Why bother?

> I see no need for ncurses at all.

For a list of things that need ncurses, type:

for file in /bin/* /sbin/* /usr/bin/* /usr/sbin/*; do
  if ldd $file | grep ncurses >/dev/null; then
    echo $file
  fi
done

> What I'd like to achieve is an extra level of gcc making gcc with
> glibc before other packages are made for keeps.  I suppose I could
> remake findutils again after gcc, but if I'm going to do it twice,
> why not make it static?

What for? We already have gcc doing a bootstrap. gcc compiles itself,
then uses the result to compile itself again. If there is any difference
between the two sets of gcc binaries, the bootstrap process should

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org