Some alternates for dependencies

Don Smith midio at att.net
Mon Feb 25 13:11:33 PST 2002

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:20020225134901.B952 at gwaihir.linuxfromscratch.org...
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:36:32AM -0500, Don Smith wrote:

<snip>

> > Another possiblity (I am no XML expert): Our browser here (IE 5.50
> > [yuch!]) supports reading the XML directly and displaying the
formatted
> > copy. I don't know if there is a plugin for that (sorry I don't want
> > spend the time figuring out how to find plugins on a windoze
system).
> > Could the LFS book be written so that direct formatting by the
browser
> > is possible? It would save having the lfs servers generate whole
books.
> > You could probably have a screen asking for options and it would
> > generate a small parameter file that could be read in by the browser
> > customize the book. Of course anyone who doesn't have such a browser
> > would be in bad shape.
>
> The book shouldn't have to be altered. It is perfectly valid XML as it
is,
> so as long as your browser can find the stylesheets and DTD necessary,
it
> should already work.

Well I tried it and I get a error popup window that says:

A runtime error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 67
Error: Expected ';'

[Yes] [No]

If I hit the Yes button it puts me at line 67 of index.xml (which
obviously is *not* missing a semicolon). Answering No brings up the
following text:

  <!DOCTYPE book (View Source for full doctype...)>

and nothing else. I am using IE 5.50 on a Window NT box. I don't have a
browser on my Linux boxen that handles XML.

This is why I get the impression that some changes need to be made, but
after looking at it, it appears that the fault is with DSSSL. The
problem could be in IE - there is an upgrade available - but like I
said; We have XML files here that have DTD's and stylesheets and they
are displayed just fine.

--
Don
LFS# 734