gcc patch on alpha

Chad Campbell chad.d.campbell at mail.sprint.com
Sun Feb 17 13:54:01 PST 2002

O.k. - I think I've got this figured out.  You need to do 2 things after
applying the gcc patch:

1. Edit gcc-2.95.3/gcc/Makefile - there are 2 instances of "-x assembler" in
the file - one for the crtbegin.asm command line, and 1 for crtend.asm -
change both to "-x assembler-with-cpp" - this will get the C macros to be
processed.

2. Because we are going to run the C preprocessor, the # comments will cause
parse errors, so go through both gcc-2.95.3/gcc/config/alpha/crtbegin.asm
and crtend.asm and delete all the # comments.

After following these steps, the patched gcc-2.95.3 compiled successfully
for me.

On another note, I'm now getting an obscure error compiling glibc.  I
suspect that this is a result of having used -mieee and -g in binutils and
gcc, so I'm starting over without those.