Attn: Alpha owners

chad.d.campbell at mail.sprint.com chad.d.campbell at mail.sprint.com
Fri Feb 15 06:56:22 PST 2002

That's exactly what I have to do with gcc.  One other thing you should
really make sure to do is to add -mieee to your compilation options in
everythingn but binutils, gcc, and glibc.  That was one of the most
major things for me to get LFS to work.  It might even be important to
add to the above packages, but I thought I'd try following the "don't do
optimization" rule for those first.  The Alpha does not support certain
parts of IEEE floating point, so if GCC doesn't emulate them in
software, you will get lots of programs breaking.  I had one that was
getting a floating point trap on a MULTIPLY by 0.  Go figure.  I've
completed 3.1 at this point + lynx, iptables, and ncftp.  I'm using
kernel 2.4.17, and I had a problem with hwclock in the util-linux
package.  It was a parse error in asm/io.h, and I am going to use ntp
anyway, so I just deleted it from the Makefile and skipped it.  One
other thing you could add, since you are PC164 based is to use
-mcpu=pca56.  Actually, here is what I'm using as an example:

-O2 -mieee -mcpu=pca56 -g

Chad

Alpha machine problem gcc-2.92.3 will not build in chapter 5

I fixed this by not adding the patch.

may be I have just f**ked my system up by not doing this.
but we will see how chapter 6 progresses.

Damien