minor slim-down in LFS-3.2-RC1 (e2fsprogs)

William L. Maltby billm at wlmlx0.wlmcs.com
Wed Feb 13 13:53:46 PST 2002

Back in _THE_ _DAY_ (PWB V6/7, System III/IV) there were _no_ _symlinks. There-
fore, there was no need to distinguish hard/soft links. Although every directory
entry containing a valid inode reference was a "link", a single reference was not
referred to as a link. Only the result of an ln command was called a link. It
was _not_ hard or soft - just a "link" or "linked".

When symlinks became available, a distinction was required. In _standard_ jargon
the original file is not referenced in terms of "link" even though the Section 2/3
calls add/remove files with "link" activities. _Only_ the results of an ln command
warrant that distinction.

In pursuit of effective communication, we need common semantics. Although technically
correct, refering to a single _normal_ file as being linked promotes confusion.

BTW, the use count referenced proves to be very handy. The system knows not to
reuse blocks associated with a file until the use count achieves 0.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com