New network script setup

Tommy Wareing tommyw at ntlworld.com
Wed May 9 02:17:53 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 08:51:15PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > > What is the code like that reads these arrays and parses them
> > > individually?
>
> It looks great to me, but I think it's too complex for in the book. I
> think people may have a hard time understanding the code.

It looks nice and tidy to me (although there's probably room for some
cleaning). The biggest problem I can see with it is that interfaces
are now identified by number, not name. So if you want to bring
everything up, then that's not a problem, but if you want to address a
specific device (such as the second ethernet card), then was that
number 2 or number 1 (counting from 0)? Oh no, it's number 3, because
the first card has two aliases...

Unless there's a startup loop for searching through the names, and
converting them to numbers.

There's also something to be said for keeping the configuration
similar to the established distributions, as it'll reduce confusion
for people moving between machines (unless it there are convincing
arguments that one mechanism is noticably worse than another). I'm
only acquainted with Redhat and Mandrake, and don't know what
mechanism Slackware or Debian use: could someone enlighten me?

--
Tommy

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org