FHS 2.1 (was: lfs todo and wish lists online)

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 06:19:00 PST 2001

Misquoted from Gerard Beekmans on 2001/01/17 at 14:45 +0000:
> > Some packages ignore some of these settings. I have modified the
> > Makefile. In some cases, running autoconf would have been sufficient.
> >
> > I have attached the fixes for the packages I use. About one in
> > three packages needs help to be fully FHS.
>
> I'll have a look soon and see what needs to be changed in the book.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

Do not bother unless you have time on your hands. Many of the fixes
in there are for packages that are not in the book. The ones that
are in the book just allow you to miss out the /usr/man and /usr/info
symlinks.

As I said, the easy way is to use the symlinks in until after you have
installed everything, then delete them. I fixed all the packages by
hand because I did not know it would be so much trouble.

You could reduce to reliance on those symlinks:

A good PREFIX/share/config.site will save you typing:
'--install-info=/usr/share/info --install-man=/usr/share/man'
for each package that gets configured with --prefix=PREFIX

You could deal with old configure scripts by waiting for the
maintainer to update them, or type 'autoconf' yourself.

After that, there would only be a few non-gnu packages and
packages with defective 'configure.in's left using the
symlinks.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org