Putting Glibc in Chapter 6

Pierre Cyr pierre.cyr at mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 13 22:08:34 PST 2001

Hello,

I just compiled glibc in the chroot'ed environment (without compiling it
in chapter 5)  Here is what I did.

After compiling Textutils in chapter 5, I compiled mawk with the
following instructions:

../configure &&
make CFLAGS=-static &&
make BINDIR=$LFS/usr/bin \
   MANDIR=$LFS/usr/share/man/man1 install &&
cd $LFS/usr/bin &&
ln -s mawk awk

Then I compiled texinfo:

../configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls &&
make -e LDFLAGS=-static &&
make install

Then I proceeded with the rest of chapter 5, created
$LFS/root/.bash_profile and entered the chrooted environment.  The
prompt looks like this:

I have no name!:/#

This is normal since glibc is not intalled.

I installed glibc with:

mkdir /usr/src/glibc-build &&
cd /usr/src/glibc-build

cat > configparms << "EOF"
# Begin configparms

slibdir=/lib
sysconfdir=/etc

# End configparms
EOF

.../glibc-2.2.1/configure \
--prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons \
--with-headers=/usr/include &&
make &&
make install &&
make localedata/install-locales

logout

chroot $LFS env -i HOME=/root bash --login

And the normal prompt appears...

root:/#

I didn't try anything further...  but I don't see why this wouldn't
work.

Pierre

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org