A Couple of Questions Before I Begin

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 27 09:28:05 PDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:12:58AM -0500, E. Bruce Lynn, II wrote:
> SuSE has a small boot partition in addition to the Swap and ReiserFS.
> Will I be able to all three OS's while keeping LILO in the MBR?

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Just add LFS to the lilo.conf
and keep the settings already there (the lfs-book will explain how to add
LFS to an already existing lilo configuration).

> Also, and this might be more of a SuSE question, but previously when
> I was running SuSE, Win 98, and Slack, I would frequently not be able
> to boot Suse properly, after installing Slack which I installed last.
> It seemed to me that the small /boot partition did not like it when I
> used Partition Magic to resize SuSE's ext2 partition to make room for
> Slack even though I was just in effect reducing the free space at the
> end of the ext2 partition.  Is there some was that I can keep this
> from happening if I create a partition for LFS at the end of the
> SuSE ReiserFS partition, and will I be able to resize this partition
> reasonably easily?  I don't really understand setting partition size
> by cylinders as compared to MB's.

What exactly went wrong when you resized partitions? I've done this
quite often myself using partition magic and other programs (like gnu
parted) without any problems.

Btw, it is advisable that as soon as you resize partitions that you run
lilo again, just in case the kernel images have been moved to a
different location on the disk (which can be a cause of resizing).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org