Upcoming LFS-2.3.4-EFR

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 31 16:09:37 PDT 2000

After the weekend I'm releasing an EFR - Emergency Fix Release (gotto
love it when you can think up the code names for releases yourself ;)

This kernel is driving me crazy and is causing me too much work in my
few weeks holiday. I'm going to wrap up a 2.3.4 version after the
weekend that will fix this kernel and the lilo part.

However, I have no time this weekend to build LFS so I still can't test
it.

My kernel fix proposal:
exit chroot
unpack kernel tree, configure it by running:
cd $LFS/usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
	save config & exit right away
make dep

enter chroot and comile away. I figure that will work.

Then at the end of chapter 5:
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make menuconfig
	save & exit right away
make dep

this last step is done to remove the *.o files created by the 'make
menuconfig' outside the chroot environment and the config program is
linked against a different library. This removing of object files
(mrproper) and re-creating them just is to ensure that the menuconfig
programs is linked against LFS's Glibc.

LILO fix proposal:
don't copy /boot/* from normal system, just the kernel image (have the
reader check /etc/lilo.conf for image filenames). That should preserve
boot.b created by the lilo install in chapter 5 and thus getting rid of
the error everybody is having.

I can't test it, so can somebody verify this or at least use best
judgement?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org