LFS etiquette ?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 29 13:13:30 PDT 2000

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think what he meant is that he wants to have an
> LFS newsgroup, like comp.linux.from.scratch or alt.os.linux.from.scratch or
> something along those lines.

I see. Wasn't thinking in those lines.

> I believe this has been discussed before, but perhaps it merits further
> discussion because the list is quite active now.
>
> I for one would vote in favor of an LFS newsgroup, that way we could discuss
> all the things related to and surrounding LFS without worrying about flooding
> people's mailboxes.
>
> I don't see why we couldn't set up some kind of relay thing that puts all the
> messages posted to the list onto a newsgroup, and perhaps newsgroup posts would
> be relayed to the mailing list
> ... I've never seen anything like that but it could be done, couldn't it?

I haven't seen it myself no. It was opted before, I and Paul asked if
anybody knows how this can be done to let us know. I for one will not
use newsgroups. I find email much more convenient. I don't intend to
start a war why a newsgroup is better, so let's not even comment on my
opinion this time ;)

> Or would we want the newsgroup to be kept separate from the mailing list?

Not at all. If there will be a newsgroup I want it to be linked to the
mailinglist simply because I won't be using the newsgroup.

So I ask again, if anybody knows how to create a bi-directional
newsgroup <-> email link, let us know so Paul and I can start working on
it. Then there's the idea, should we ask for a group (on Usenet or
whatever they call it. I'm really not into newsgroups) or do we setup
our own newsgroup server network (between the main server and one or
more mirror sites) so people have to connect to say
nntp.linuxfromscratch.org to be able to get the stuff.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

-*- If Linux doens't have the solution, you have the wrong problem -*-