Current TODO list and Changelog for 2.3.5

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 17 18:39:05 PDT 2000

> I'm having problems here, trying to install LFS 2.3.4 from a working LFS 2.2
> system. The 2.2 system now has bash-2.04, and glibc gives me the invalid
> character problem if you try and install it normally. If you edit the
> Makefiles and take the hyphens out, then it appears to install normally, but
> upon entering the chrooted environment, then you get segmentation faults as
> soon as you try to install anything (apart from ed-0.02). You (I) get the
> segmentation faults when you install normally too.
> Reding the documentation of glibc, I noticed it says not to compile as root.
> Could this be where I was going wrong? Haven't had time to recompile yet, as
> it takes ages (well over four hours).

The seg faulting can very well be due to you renaming the variable names
in the Makefile files. Perhaps they worked together with the source
code. I guess you didn't change the variables everywhere (including in
the .c files)?

Also, I always compile all LFS software as root (the stuff in the book
at least) and it never gave me problems. Here's the current part how to
install Glibc when you have bash2.04 installed:

Install Bash-2.03, if needed, by running the following commands:

     root:bash-2.03# ./configure
     root:bash-2.03# make
     root:bash-2.03# cp bash /bin/bash203

To activate this new bash during the compilation of Glibc we have to
change the /bin/sh symbolic link to point to /bin/bash203. Do that by
running the following
commands:

     root:~# cd /bin
     root:bin# rm sh; ln -s bash203 sh

Change to the $LFS/usr/src/glibc-build directory and install Glibc by
running the following commands if your system already had a suitable GCC
version
installed:

     root:glibc-build# ../glibc-2.1.3/configure --prefix=/usr
--enable-add-ons \
     > --with-headers=$LFS/usr/include
     root:glibc-build# make
     root:glibc-build# make install_root=$LFS install
     root:glibc-build# cd /bin
     root:bin# rm sh; ln -s bash sh

-----

so you just change the /bin/sh symlink and have it point to
/bin/bash203. No need to actually start bash-2.03 as your interactive
shell. Every configure script calls /bin/sh (the first line contains
#!/bin/sh) so your configure script runs in it's own shell already. This
will fix the problems for good.

Later, when you reinstall bash dynamic:

Install Bash-2.03 by running the following commands:

     root:bash-2.03# ./configure --prefix=/usr
     root:bash-2.03# make -e
     root:bash-2.03# cp bash /bin/bash203

Pretty much the same way as you did on the normal system.

The only other time when you need to use bash-2.03 is when installing
net-tools (all other packages don't have this variable problem):

Install Net-tools by running the following commands:

     root:net-tools-1.56# cd /bin
     root:bin# rm sh; ln -s bash203 sh
     root:bin# cd /usr/src/net-tools-1.56
     root:net-tools-1.56# make