Boy, am I havin' trouble!

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Sat Jun 3 16:05:16 PDT 2000

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 11:28:57AM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 12:41:22AM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:
> > > Okay, so I haven't gotten very far..I just installed init,
> > and configured it  and lilo and rebooted.  It comes back with a kernel
> panic
> > that it can't "find an init supply init= at boot prompt".  I
> > double-checked, init's there in /sbin, and I setup my inittab as per the
> book, so, what
> > the dilly?
> >
> > Did you specify the Root-Device in your lilo.conf?
> > Like
> >
> > image = /mnt/lfs/boot/bzImage
> > root = /dev/hda3
> > label = lfs
> >

> Yup.
>
> A little more info:  I had a 400M hard drive lying around before I started
> this project.  Actually, I'd started by trying to get one of the bloated
> distros to FIT usefully on the 400M drive, and found that starting from
> scratch would be a better way to go.  Anyone that says Windows is bloated
> obviously hasn't tried installing RedHat or Mandrake lately. :)  Anyway...so
> LFS is on this second drive (/dev/hdc).  Could THAT have something to do
> with it?  I don't have a /boot partition, and am using my current kernel
> which is located on the first HD.

This should not affect it. The kernel is booting, so that should be
allright. Hmm. Don't have any more good ideas. Please try passing
init=/bin/bash to the kernel at the LILO-prompt. Like:

LILO: lfs init=/bin/bash

See if this works. If it does, there must be some problem with
init. Try running init manually and see what happens.

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.