[which libc have i got]

Sherab Puntsok alantam at netscape.net
Sun Jul 30 05:49:15 PDT 2000

Hi Andrew,

   You've got an old libc4.
   I haven't seen libc4 since I learn Linux 6 months ago (still learning).
The newer libc6 could be libc.so.6 -> libc.so.2.0.7 (as I have in Debian)
or libc.so.6 -> libc.so.2.1.3 as in LFS Linux.
   Most of the current applications run on libc.so.6. They could have a note
on the requirements when you compile them or use their already built binaries.
If they need libc.so.2.1.3 then you have to compile your own libc.so.6 from
glibc-2.1.3.tar.gz, glibc-crypt-2.1.3.tar.gz, and
glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar.gz.
   There are lots of light weighted Linux distributions on the web (such as
Lin4Win, WinLinux 2000, PhatLinux etc ...) if your space is a problem.
   Of course building your own Linux is best suited to your needs (only the
programs you liked is installed).

   Cheers.

   Alan

"andrew sprott" <andru at btinternet.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> i've got to the libc part and i don't know what libc i've got. or
> at least i don't know what i should do cos in a dir listin
>
> libc.so.4 -> libc.so.4.7.6
> libc.so.4.7.6
> libc.so.6
>
> it's a old linux distro, cos the newer ones i've got take up so
> much room.
>
> andrew
> 'this tagline was written and submitted in electronic form usin pcword'
>

> --
> (no subject is required)

(Optional)
If you say " Om Ma Ne Pad Mei Hung ",