MAKEDEV is different...Hmmm...

Sherab Puntsok alantam at netscape.net
Tue Jul 4 19:58:57 PDT 2000

Hi Simon,
   What about if my system runs on hda9, hda10, hda11.

   I have hda1 as / for Debian 2.1 primary   (lilo installed there)
          hda2 as C: for w98       primary
          hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 > logical
          hda5 as D: in Windows fat32 system
          hda6 as E: in Windows fat32 system
          hda7 as /usr for Debian system
          hda8 as /lfs (/ for LFS system, directories including /boot to
                  /var)
          hda9 as /home for Debian system
          hda10 as /var for Debian system
          hda11 as swap for Debian or LFS system
   When I boot into LFS system the swap partition is not mounted.
(No such file or directory) I look at the /dev/hda* it displays only
hda1 to hda8 no hda9 to hda11. Try ./MAKEDEV hda11 it responded with ==> don't
know how to make "hda11". Finally, I have to copy the hda9 to hda11 from
inside Debian to LFS by doing cp -av /dev/hda9 /lfs/dev.

   Is there other ways of doing it, except copying it from the base system ?

   Thanks
   Alan

Simon Perreault <nomis80 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hendrix wrote:
> >
> > Hmm...
> >
> > Why is it that when I use the MAKEDEV script to make a new /dev
> > directory I only get 706 files, but when I look in my Red Hat 6.1 /dev
> > directory I get over 2300 files...  This doesn't mean that I'll need to
> > 'mknod' almost 2000 files does it...???*s*
> >
> > The MAKEDEV options I used are:
> >
> > MAKEDEV -v generic
>
> "MAKEDEV generic" simply doesn't create every device you're ever going
> to need. It creates, as it name implies, a generic (very basic) set of
> devices. If you want to add a sound card to your computer, you must
> "MAKEDEV audio". If you have a hdc, you must "MAKEDEV hdc". You're going
> to encounter programs that need devices, and you're going to create them
> along the way. You just don't have a bloated /dev directory as the RH
> one.
> --
> (no subject is required)

(Optional)