Small improvement of rc script makes big difference (bug report 35898)

Simon Perreault nomis80 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 07:15:33 PDT 2000

> In your case something failed because some pid file existed - personally
> I run a script right after mountfs has run to do:
> rm -r /var/run/* /var/lock/* /tmp/*

Good idea.

> So before any daemons are started those files won't interfere anymore. I
> suppose this script can be added to the book as it's a good thing to
> have IMHO.

Yes. But, you did exactly what I was warning you against: you patch the
holes, thinking that there will be no more holes. There are always unthought
of cases where a sub-script will exit with a return value > 1, and to
prevent agains ALL those unforeseen errors, the rc script must be modified
in the way I proposed.