Device files

Arthur Rinkel arthur at cal040041.student.utwente.nl
Sun Jul 30 03:03:03 PDT 2000

Hi people,

I'm currently performing a LFS and I'm really at the beginning of it. I
have a few questions concerning the device files in the /dev directory.

1. How does one determine the permissions and owner of a device?

2. How many and which terminal devices are necessary? I mean pseudo-
terminals and/or normal/old terminals?

I could simply copy the entire /dev directory from my original system to
the LFS system, but there's a major difference in kernel versions so
certain devices could be different. This would probably required only a
few modifications, but I'd like the /dev directory to reflect the
hardware of my system as much as possible...

Grtz, Arthur