TODO + Changelog

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 27 09:36:44 PDT 2000

> After the complete installation of LFS, take a look at /etc/passwd. It isn't
> converted to /etc/shadow (at leat for me it isn't). I don't really know
> where exactly the problem is and what would be the most gracious fix, but I
> simply run /usr/sbin/pwdconv (dunno if it's the real name, but it should be
> pretty close) to convert /etc/passwd to /etc/shadow. When I use
> /usr/sbin/adduser, I must convert /etc/passwd in the same way. Perhaps a
> long term fix should be found.

enabling shadow support is up to you. The book tells you to read the
HOWTO that comes with the shadow password suite. The howto tells you how
to enable shadow passwords (you don't have to enable it) and if you do,
it tells you how to test it (if it goes wrong and you reboot you won't
be able to login and have to read the HOWTO to fix it, so you might as
well read it now to avoid problems later)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org