creatingdirs.sgml shortened

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Jul 27 08:50:46 PDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Gerard Beekmans said this:
> I've shortened the creastingdirs.sgml file. The directories in
> /usr/local are still made but they're inside a for-loop:
>
> root:~# cd $LFS
>      root:~# mkdir bin boot dev etc home lib mnt proc root sbin tmp var
>      root:~# for dirname in $LFS/usr $LFS/usr/local
>      > do
>      > mkdir $dirname
>      > cd $dirname
>      > mkdir bin etc include lib sbin share src tmp var
>      > ln -s share/man man
>      > ln -s share/doc doc
>      > ln -s share/info info
>      > cd $dirname/share
>      > mkdir dict doc info locale man nls misc terminfo zoneinfo
>      > cd $dirname/share/man
>      > mkdir man1 man2 man3 man4 man5 man6 man7 man8
>      > done
>      root:~# cd $LFS/var
>      root:var# mkdir lock log run spool tmp
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans

Great idea ! Ho Ho Ho, that's cool ! ;) Thanks Gerard, for hanging on
to /usr/local !

------ additional thoughts on /usr/local (perhaps OFF-TOPIC?) ------
I don't know about others, but even with LFS I do still install some
things in /usr/local . I mostly use it for software that's not in the
BOOK so I can keep my head straight.

I remember reading somewhere once that since the LFS-BOOK is
essentially all local, you don't really need /usr/local . Don't quote
me on that though ;) But, in essence, I think it DOES need to be
there even if you just keep the empty directory structure...

I like to use it when I want to test an installation before I
actually go off and reinstall it under /usr . That way I can decide
if a package will cause any problems or if I even need it... Also,
you can decide if a package is going to use "$PREFIX/etc",
"$PREFIX/tmp", or "$PREFIX/var" and then reinstall it under /usr by
feeding ./configure additional options.

Like:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

--
Regards,
J.A. Neitzel
jan at belvento.org