Branding your LFS

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Wed Jul 26 08:59:21 PDT 2000

Ok. Here is what I have discovered about 'branding' your LFS. Some,
if not most, packages run the config.guess and or config.sub to create
the right 'stuff' (usually directories or identifying info) like
"i686-pc-linux-gnu". Well, when you run the ./configure script, if you
specify --host=ARCH-VENDOR-CPU (i.e i686-LFS-linux-gnu) you can have
the binaries built with this 'special brand'.

Perl is different, and contains tons of info. Here's my ./Configure
line:
./Configure -Dprefix=/usr -Darchname=i686-linux -Dcf_by=rjaninda
-Dmyhostname=host.com -Doptimize="-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686" -des

The key here is to prefix values with 'D', check your Configure for
all available options (there are many).

Just trying to make LFS's more personal.

Randy