putting 2.3.6 to the test

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 25 17:59:25 PDT 2000

> Among other things, this does `exec init -t1 S` . I am only curious
> if this is "odd" or a "standard" behaviour? I figure that `init 1`
> and `init S` should behave differently. Right? Wrong? Comments
> invited! ;-)

I'm not sure about it either. I just know that I use runlevel S when the
system is booted (read when the si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS line is read
by init and executed so it runs scripts in /etc/rcS.d) and runlevel 1
can be your default run level (single user mode - no networking, no
multi-user. Single user mode, as it's implemented often, starts the
sulogin program so you can login as user root and repair. Then you
change to runlevel 2 for multi-user/no network or level 3 for
multi-user/full network).

Which reminds me, the single user mode isn't implemented in LFS yet.

> Should this sort of question go to any other list (e.g., the linux
> list)?

Depends on what you're going to ask next. Run level implementations fit
well on this list.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org