gcc compilation errors

Tomislav Greguric greguric at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Jul 24 16:44:31 PDT 2000

> Although I'm not 100% sure I think that signal 11 relates to hardware problems.
> Doesn't the FAQ (the Linux FAQ that is) have something about those fatal signal
> 11?? Again, I'm not 100% sure on this...

Signal 11 (or SIGSEGV) signals an invalid memory reference.  This
means that a program tried to access memory outside of it's scope
(memory, which is in another program's segment, therefore
"segmentation" fault).

This can have two reasons (the error happening is the same, in the
end):

1. wrong code; for example something like "add 100000000 to pointer p"
   will likely let the pointer p point to a wrong address. Therefore,
   gcc reports an "internal compiler error", but this is _VERY_
   unlikely in this case

2. broken hardware; assume a pointer points to address 0x00000012, and
   because the memory dimms are bad one bit flips and the pointer
   points to 0xA0000012 now, again an address likely to belong not to
   the program.

Hope to have get this clear, a bit at least,

Tomislav