More and More directories?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 24 12:24:05 PDT 2000

> Why is it that in every new LFS, We create MORE and MORE of the same
> directories when building LFS. For instance we make man pages twice under 2
> directories [/usr/man+/usr/share/man]. Also /usr/share and /usr, the same
> directories. Why do we create so many of the same directories? Why not just
> use symlinks back to only 1 of them? Making more and more directories just
> makes the directory structure more cluttered. Even the FHS doesnt have a
> second set of each directory. Cant we keep this excess directory structures
> to the minimum in the next lfs?

We don't have 2 sets of directories. To take your man example I paste
the following from the "Creating directories" from the book:

root:share# cd $LFS/usr/share/man
root:man# mkdir man1 man2 man3 man4 man5 man6 man7 man8
root:man# cd $LFS/usr/local
root:local# mkdir bin etc include lib local sbin share src tmp var
root:local# ln -s share/man man

As you see /usr/man is a symlink to /usr/share/man

I don't see your point?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org