start-stop-daemon

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Mon Jul 24 09:19:06 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> The book tries to teach you things about how things work behind the
> scenes. If you use start-stop-daemon you don't really know what it does.
> You just say it should kill some daemon and miraculously it does it for
> you. These lower level scripts enable you to see how a program as
> start-stop-daemon might do it (I haven't looked at the ssd source code
> but for all I know it uses programs like pidof and kill itself and makes
> it just a nice front-end to those programs) and it can be a great
> learning experience. I've used ssd for a couple of years and always have
> been content with it. Until I started writing these scripts (yes they
> are RedHat based. I needed a model and RedHat was the only distro I have
> installed besides Debian which doens't do it this way) it taught me a
> few tricks as well.

Regarding this, I  would like to see the scripts heavily commented.  This
would
definitley enhance the learning experience and enable people without a lot of
shell
scripting experience to at least edit their scripts with a degree of
confidence. For a lot of
users, a clever script is just as obtuse as C sources, and a script with no
comments
may be even more so.  If you are typing out the scripts rather than cutting
and pasting,
you don't have to bother typing the comments, but they are there for
reference in the
original.  An alternative would be to include a kitchen sink skeleton script
with comments
and suggestions for edititng.

My own programming experience shows me that when I write something,  usually
armed with
a manual, language library, and a lot of example code at hand, a lot of
comments just clutter the
screen and everything is obvious anyway.  Come back a year later with the
idea of reusing that
code, and I go "WTF is this???"