Problem with m4 in 2.3.6

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 06:17:17 PDT 2000

Panos Maheras wrote

>                                                             ... Those
> 'few of us' happen by any chance to install LFS over a glibc 2.0 system
> (mine is Debian 2.1)?? ...

At last count you were the fourth I noticed reporting the problem.

My system is Debian 2.1r5.  This is seriously old but it's a stable system
and that's what I want from the box.  I await Debian 2.2's release before
I will upgrade.

>                    ... After many *many* tests I'm beginning to think
> that it's a problem with glibc. Let me explain:
>
> The sigstack function is supposedly taken from siginfo.h from the
> kernel headers, but guess what? The configure script DOESN'T find it
> (it says something like checking for siginfo.h.... No). There are two
> siginfo.h files under the /usr/include directory of the LFS system. One
> is: asm/siginfo.h (from the kernel) the other is: bits/siginfo.h (from
> the glibc).
>
> Now, get this: if I copy siginfo.h from /usr/include/asm to
> /usr/include the configure script from m4 FINDS this file (checking
> for siginfo.h.... Yes) BUT during the make step it conflicts with the
> /usr/include/bits/siginfo.h which has the sigstack function defined
> differently and make stops. If I move /usr/include/bits/siginfo.h
> to /usr/include then the configure script again doesn't find
> siginfo.h. Weird??

That's precisely where I got to when I gave up on looking for the real
problem and settled for the fix.

John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk