start-stop-daemon

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 23 11:42:50 PDT 2000

> than these scripts. There must be some reason, why they moved from sh to
> perl to C, don't you think?

A few reasons could be that a one-that-does-it-all kind of program is
cleaner, smaller, doesn't need external programs (like the script rely
on kill, pidof and ps), easier to see what's going on if you look at it
from a user point of view who doesn't know how to or does not want to
script and countless others. I agree on all of those.

My main reason is for not using ssd anymore: it takes away from the
learning experience.

I apologize for repeatedly writing "if you don't agree then don't do
it". I realize it's not what your posting was about.

> Seems to be a religious discussion. I will stop now.

Yes, that seems the best thing in this case.

Please keep in mind that I wasn't trying to attack your ideas, although
it seemed that I had an attitude of "I'm doing things my way and I don't
care what you think", I didn't mean it that way.

Perhaps I should write a function that's not present in ssd so there's a
real reason to use the scripts (I'm just kidding) ;)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org