Package Management

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Sat Jul 22 11:46:22 PDT 2000

I have been using installwatch to log all my "make install"'s.  This creates a
funky looking logfile which is not particularly useful. Included with installwatch
is a script "inst2rpm" which will prompt you for information about the package and
create an rpm for you. However it is unforgiving of typos and if you screw up you
have to start over.  This script contains a line which uses awk, grep, egrep, sort,
etc  which parses the logfile generated by installwatch.  This line can be cut and
put into a script which will take the logfile and generate a nice clean list of all
files with pathnames  that were installed from a package by installwatch. Such as:

audiofile-0.1.9.list:
/dev/tty
/opt/gnome/bin/audiofile-config
/opt/gnome/bin/sfconvert
/opt/gnome/bin/sfinfo
/opt/gnome/include/af_vfs.h
/opt/gnome/include/audiofile.h
/opt/gnome/include/aupvlist.h
/opt/gnome/lib/libaudiofile.a
/opt/gnome/lib/libaudiofile.la
/opt/gnome/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.0.0
/opt/gnome/share/aclocal/audiofile.m4

Testing if the file exists and is a regular file and then rewriting gets rid of the
/dev/tty.  To uninstall, a short script to cat the file to a variable and loop
through with rm.  Easy to create a bzipped tarfile of the package from the list
also.  For those packages where you copy files from the source package, a hand made
list will do.  Other utilities can be used to generate a list of what the package
reqires, provides, add date of creation, etc.  From there it should be fairly easy
too create a packagemanagement system  using only installwatch and other scripts,
and the base LFS system,  with no need for RPM or any outside package manager.  So
far all I have are some very short scripts, one which calls installwatch and make
install and writes the log file with package name to a log directory, one which
produces the cleaned up filelist from the logfile,  one which creates the tar.bz2
of the installed package, and one which removes the installed package.