Known Bugs

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 07:59:41 PDT 2000

>ld --verbose -lcurses gives:
>
><cut a lot>
>attempt to open /lib/libcurses.so succeeded
>-lcurses (/lib/libcurses.so)
>
>Linker finds it and links the package against it. Does ld error on your
>end? If so, what's the error?

ld --verbose -lcurses gives:

<cut a lot>
attempt to open /lib/libcurses.so succeeded
-lcurses (/lib/libcurses.so)
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address

ld --verbose -lncurses gives:

attempt to open /lib/libncurses.so succeeded
-lncurses (/lib/libncurses.so)
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address

The last few lines from the make in bash are:

make[1]: Leaving directory /mnt/hda2/usr/src/bash-2.04/lib/sh'
rm -f bash
gcc -L./builtins -L./lib/readline -L./lib/readline -L./lib/glob
-L./lib/tilde -L./lib/malloc -L./lib/sh -static -rdynamic  -O3 -mcpu=i686 -o
bash shell.o eval.o y.tab.o general.o make_cmd.o print_cmd.o  dispose_cmd.o
execute_cmd.o variables.o copy_cmd.o error.o expr.o flags.o jobs.o subst.o
hashcmd.o hashlib.o mailcheck.o trap.o input.o unwind_prot.o pathexp.o sig.o
test.o version.o alias.o array.o braces.o bracecomp.o bashhist.o bashline.o
siglist.o list.o stringlib.o locale.o findcmd.o redir.o pcomplete.o
pcomplib.o xmalloc.o -lbuiltins -lreadline -lhistory -lcurses -lglob -ltilde
-lmalloc -lsh
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bash] Error 1

Change curses to ncurses in the Makefile and it works. The resulting
bash can run my LFS 2.3.5b script until it is replaced by the bash
made in the chroot environment.

Richard

Junk mail: root@[127.0.0.1]